The Santo Christo Feast is the most important religious festivals in the Azores. Every year, thousands of immigrants return to the island of São Miguel and celebrate the Santo Christo Feast. The 2018 Santo Christo festival will be held from May 4th to May 10th, with the Sunday procession being on the 6th of May.
One of our more popular tours, with this tour you will be visiting the most popular spots of the island of São Miguel, such as Furnas, Ribeira dos Caldeiroes – Nordeste, Sete Cidades and Lagoa do Fogo.
Included in the package is:
- Round trip airfare from Boston to Ponta Delgada on Azores Airlines (Departure: May 1st, 2018 – Return: May 8th, 2018)
- 6 nights stay at 4 star hotel in Ponta Delgada
- Full American breakfast daily at the hotel
- Full day tour of eastern side of the island (Furnas) including traditional lunch (Cozido)
- Full day tour of western side of Sao Miguel island (Sete Cidades and Lagoa do Fogo) including lunch
- Full day tour of the northeastern side of the island (Nordeste) including lunch
- Two dinners (Folkloric Dinner and Sunday Dinner)
- Round trip transfers from the airport to the hotel.
- $1,999.00 per person (Inclusive of taxes of approximately $119.83);
- If you book before November 30th 2017, save $100;
- Deposit of $800.00 (non-refundable) per person is required at time of booking;
- Full payment is due 60 days prior to departure (March 01, 2018);
- After final payment, we recommend the purchase of travel insurance.
- Round trip airfare from Boston to Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel – Azores;
- Rates are per person, based on double occupancy.
Tuesday BOSTON/PONTA DELGADA
Evening departure aboard AZORES AIRLINES for our transatlantic overnight flight to Ponta Delgada. Dinner will be served onboard accompanied by a selection of Portuguese wines to complement your meal.
Wednesday PONTA DELGADA
We will arrive in the early morning at João Paulo II Airport in Ponta Delgada. After clearing customs, we will be transferred to our four star hotel. The rest of the day is to rest and relax.
Thursday PONTA DELGADA/FURNAS
Today we will be off on our first full day tour. We begin by traveling along the southern coast heading toward Vila Franca where we will stop to sample some “Queijadas da Vila”. We will also stop at the pottery factory in Lagoa, followed by stops at scenic points along the coast. We then head towards the Lagoa das Furnas to view the geothermic ovens that cook the traditional cozido, afterwards we head towards the village of Furnas where lunch will be served. After lunch we will walk around the village to view “Caldeiras”, then depart the village and make our way North stopping at the scenic points of “Pico de Ferro”, “Salto do Cavalo” and Ribeira dos Caldeirões in Nordeste. On our return to Ponta Delgada, we will make a stop at the Gorreana Tea Plantation, one of the oldest tea plantations in Europe and we’ll be able to sample their teas. (B, L)
Friday PONTA DELGADA
Today is the beginning of the Santo Cristo Feast. The day is at your leisure and in the evening We will head to “Solar da Graca” restaurant, where we will have dinner, followed by an Azorean Folkloric dancing show. B, D)
Saturday PONTA DELGADA
Today the city of Ponta Delgada becomes alive with activities. In the afternoon, there will be a Procession of Senhor Santo Cristo around the Campo de Sao Francisco. In the evening the statue of Senhor Santo Cristo will be relocated from the igreja da Esperanca to Igreja de Sao Jose, the festivities will continue late into the night. (B)
Sunday PONTA DELGADA
In the morning the streets of Ponta Delgada become decorated with greens and flowers for the afternoon procession. At four in the afternoon the procession begins in front of the Convento da Esperança and continuing throughout the streets of Ponta Delgada returning to the Convento da Esperança in the early evening. We will meet at the Hotel Talisman at 8PM for dinner. (B, D)
Monday PONTA DELGADA/SETE CIDADES/LAGOA DO FOGO
Today we will be off on our full day tour of Sete Cidades and Lagoa do Fogo. We begin by making a short visit to a pineapple plantation. There we will see how the pineapple is cultivated, followed by a sampling of the pineapple liquor. We then proceed to visit the Lagoa dos Canarios and Lagoa de Santiago. After that we make a climb to the famous “Vista do Rei” for a panoramic view of the two lakes of Sete Cidades. A typical lunch will then be served. After lunch we head to the Lagoa do Fogo, making stops in Ribeira Grande and Caldeira Velha. At the top of Lagoa do Fogo we are able to see both the north and south coasts of São Miguel. (B, L)
Tuesday PONTA DELGADA/BOSTON
Today we say goodbye to the beautiful island of Sao Miguel. We hope that on the flight back you reminisce of the good times that you had on the trip. (B)
CALL 1-888-678-9093 TO BOOK YOUR TRIP NOW!